Gunnar focuses his practice on litigation and counseling on behalf of both public and private entities. Before joining Bickerstaff, he practiced for over five years in the General Litigation and Tax divisions of the Texas Office of the Attorney General. He has extensive experience in litigation, having tried cases to both judges and juries. Gunnar represents clients in matters involving commercial disputes, personal injury, land use, real estate, construction defects, employment practices, eminent domain, voting rights, statutory and constitutional rights, and regulatory compliance. Gunnar also advises private clients on compliance with state and federal laws and administrative regulations, and counsels governmental entities on issues of open government, governmental procedure, and contracting.
- Represented both private and governmental clients in claims alleging breach of contract and procurement violations
- Defended local and national entities in cases of personal injury, product liability, and wrongful death claims
- Advised both governmental entities and private business on employment matters and has successfully defended claims under Title VII, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Age Discrimination and Employment Act, the Fair Labor Standards Act, the Family Medical Leave Act, and the Whistleblower Act, as well as the Texas Commission on Human Rights
- Defended various governmental entities from Section 1983 claims alleging constitutional violations under the First, Fourth, Fifth, Eighth, and Fourteenth Amendments to the United States Constitution
- Counseled and defended governmental entities in claims asserted under the Voting Rights Act of 1964
- Defended cities in land use and access to governmental services and facilities lawsuits under the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1991 and the Rehabilitation Act of 1973
- Defended governmental entities in claims alleging violations of the Texas Public Information Act and the Texas Open Meetings Act
Former Assistant Attorney General, General Litigation Division, Office of the Attorney General of Texas (2011-2014)
Former Assistant Attorney General, Taxation Division, Office of the Attorney General of Texas (2008-2010)
Austin Bar Association
Austin Young Lawyers Association
State Bar of Texas, Litigation Section
State Bar of Texas, Governmental Section
Board member, West Austin Neighborhood Association
Lessons Learned from Pasadena: A Voting Rights Update, Presented to the Texas City Attorneys Association, 2017
The Intersection of Federal Disability Law and Municipal Zoning, Presented to the 20th Annual Land Use Conference (UTCLE), 2016 (Co-presenter) and again to the Texas City Attorneys Association Fall Conference, 2016 (Co-presenter)
The Constitutional Avoidance Canon of Statutory Construction, Published in The Advocate, State Bar Litigation Section Report, Volume 71, Summer 2015
Assignees of Best Buy v. Combs, 395 S.W. 3d 847 (Tex.App.-Austin 2013, pet. filed).
University of Texas El Paso v. Ochoa, 410 S.W.3d 327 (Tex.App-El Paso, 2013, pet. filed.).
Critical Heath Connection, Inc. v. Texas Workforce Commission, 338 S.W.3d 758 (Tex.App.-Austin 2011, no pet.).
Energy Educ. of Montana v. Tex. Comptroller of Pub. Accounts, no. 03-10-644-CV, 2013 Tex. App. Lexis 5047 (Tex. App-Austin, Apr. 25, 2013, pet. denied.)