State and Local Tax Law
Bickerstaff attorneys represent clients in state and local tax disputes with integrity and outstanding quality. Understanding that not all tax controversies should be resolved in court, our attorneys deliver maximum value to clients by using their considerable knowledge and skills to address tax problems as soon as they arise and to take advantage, where possible, of all opportunities to efficiently resolve them in an informal setting. Our state and local tax group brings extensive experience to bear in addressing tax matters, including experience as former tax attorneys with the Texas State Comptroller and the Attorney General’s Taxation Division.
Our state and local tax practice provides legal services in the following areas, among others:
- State Tax Matters, including advice and representation in state tax audits, refund claims and redeterminations regarding sales and use, franchise, and other taxes administered by the Texas State Comptroller;
- Local Tax Matters, including franchise fees, property tax abatements, valuations, exemptions, appeals, and litigation;
- Transactional Planning, including assistance designed to avoid or minimize potential tax problems;
- Pre-Audit and Audit Process Participation, including assistance addressing and resolving controversies that might otherwise result in significant tax assessments;
- Representation Before Courts and Administrative Bodies, including contested case hearings and tax suits in circumstances in which earlier resolution is not possible.